Pepper soup is one of Nigerian’s most sort after soups. It has this chilly taste and tantalizing aroma that always leaves you asking for more. Most times, people especially the men, prefer to go to restaurants to buy it because the secret ingredients were only known to the ‘Restaurant madams’. But here is the instructions to cook it from the comfort of your home.
Pepper soup is made with different types of meat and fish.
1. Chicken or Cow foot or Assorted Beef
2. 4 seeds of Ehu or Ariwo or Calabash nutmeg
3. Chilli pepper ( to taste)
4. 2 teaspoon of crushed dry uziza (optional)
5. 2 medium onions
7. 3 stock cubes
8. 1 teaspoon of thyme (for chicken pepper soup)
Before you start cooking;
:Wash and prepare your chicken or beef
:Use a frying pan to roast the Ehu seeds (stirring constantly), till you can smell it. Try removing the outer membrane of one of the seeds, if it comes off easily, then the Ehu is ready.
: Peel of the membrane from the Ehu and grind with dry mill.
: Chop the onions
: Rub the dry uziza with your fingers to break into tiny pieces.
1. Place the pieces of chicken or beef into the pot and pour enough water to cover the contents of the pot. Add the stock cubes, thyme and onions and cook till done.
2. By now, some of the water has dried. Add more water.
3. Add the Ehu, dry Uziza, chilli pepper and salt.
4. Cover pot and leave to boil go about 5- 6 minutes. It is ready to serve.
Note: Ehu has some chills in it, so before you add pepper, try to taste it so it does not become Over-Pepper Soup.
Pepper soup is best served hot with chilled drink with plenty breeze passing through your body.. Lols!!
Learn How to cook Oha Soup
Rate this How-to Tutorial