Ingredients for Nigerian Zobo drink
Learn how to prepare zobo drink with the following Ingredients:
- Zobo leaves
- Ginger (1-2pieces)
- 1 big ripe pineapple
- Ginger (1)
- Artificial flavors and sweeteners
Method of Preparation:
Usually, zobo leaves are always very dusty so you need to wash it thoroughly in cold water to get rid of the dust. as you wash, you might probably think you are washing out the color of the zobo leaves, but don’t worry because dry zobo is very rich in flavour and color such that you can dry and re-use.
- After you’ve washed your zobo leaves, peel your pineapple into thin slices. You may also cut the pineapple peels into thin slices so you can add them to the drink but it is advisable you don’t, as the pineapple peel may have dirt that may be hard to get out due to their thorny nature. However, if you can go through the stress of washing the peels thoroughly, you can always add them to the drink. Also slice your garlic and ginger into very small pieces.
- Then you put your washed zobo leaves into a deep pot and add your diced pineapples. Add enough water and allow to boil for 5-10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes of boiling, add your garlic and ginger. Leave to boil for another 30 minutes.
- Then, remove from fire and leave to cool. Once it is cool, squeeze out the juice from the leaves and pineapples. Pour the juice through a sieve to remove particles. If you don’t have a sieve, a clean white cloth, tightly meshed net or a chiffon cloth will do too.
- You can add sugar or any other artificial fruit flavors you want; that’s if you don’t like the natural tangy sour taste of the zobo drink.
You can also add pepper and citrus fruits to the Zobo drink while boiling and some add alcohol or a bit of palm wine just to spice things up. It also can be used in parties especially when you’re on a tight budget and it goes with almost every snack.
The zobo drink is very cheap and also very healthy. According to research, zobo drink has so many health benefits
Advantages and Benefits of Zobo Drinks
- It has a very high concentration of vitamin c
- Zobo drink is known to lower blood pressure, help alleviate fever and liver disease.
- The Hibiscus leaves used in Zobo drink also have extremely high levels of antioxidants which have been shown as helping to prevent cancer.
Disadvantages or Side Effects of Zobo Drink
Caution: Zobo drink is not recommended during pregnancy due to the fact that Hibiscus is meant to stimulate blood flow and hence menstruation which could lead to an abortion.