Asun (spicy barbecued goat meat), a popular favorite in the western part of Nigeria is one sure attraction you can’t miss at parties especially in the small chops section. Asun which simply means “smoked meat” in yoruba language is a spicy bite sized appetizer made from smoked/grilled or roasted goat meat. It’s usually served mixed with pounded or ground pepper and can be classified alongside other finger foods.
Here’s how to make it at home.
- Cut the goat meat into big chunks. Make sure you cut the chunks with the goat skin. If the skin is not there, it won’t be the real deal.
- Wash and put the goat meat chunks in a bowl.
- Add thyme and black pepper; crush and add the stock cubes. Feel free to add other spices and ingredients that you use to marinate the meat.
- Mix the spices and goat meat by gently rubbing with your hands.
- Cover the bowl with a thin film. Put in the fridge and leave to marinate for about an hour.
- Pound or blitz the habanero (scotch bonnet) peppers and set aside.
- Cut 1 onion into 4 big chunks.
- After marinating the goat meat, put the meat in a pressure cooker.
- Pour water to just half of the level of the goat meat, add the big chunks of onion and start cooking at medium heat.
- When the goat meat is well done, remove the big chunks of onions and add salt to taste.
- Increase the heat and stir constantly till all the remaining liquid in the pot is absorbed. You don’t want to lose any flavour by pouring away the goat meat stock.
- Lay the goat meat flat on your oven rack.
- Grill/broil in the oven at 180°C or 350°F till the meat is brown all over. You will need to turn them from time to time to avoid drying out. This takes a maximum of 15 minutes.
- While you are grilling the meat, wash, cut and thread the green bell pepper, red bell pepper and the remaining onion on toothpicks.
- When the meat it well grilled heat the vegetable oil in a dry clean pot.
- Add the grilled goat meat.
- Stir very well till the pepper is evenly distributed on the goat meat. The vegetable oil ensures that this happens and gives the asun a nice glow. Serve with the threaded vegetables.