Graduating with first class and performing excellently academically is a dream for every student especially freshers in any University. Apart from the prestige that comes with it, there are several opportunities that a good academical grade offers (e.g. better job opportunities). Therefore, having a very good grade seems rewarding.
Although lots of students usually have several plans to finish with a first-class degree at the beginning of their freshman year, however, they don’t follow it through as there are really few set of students who finish with a first-class degree. Knowing the opportunities that a first-class degree delivers any graduating student, it is therefore critical to plan and know how to get a first-class degree in the University.
We’ll go through several plans that can help you achieve this aim:
- SET TARGETS FOR YOUR GRADE: the obvious target is having a first class but then it is important that you have your plans drawn out or written out as the case may be. First, you need to know the grading system that your institution uses and how to calculate your grade point well (wrong calculations can be very deadly). You then proceed to write out your dream results as your target; what you intend scoring in every course that will help you achieve this dream of having a first class. Know this carefully and place it strategically in a way you can always get to see it.
- ATTEND CLASSES: this is usually a problem for most students. Students feel that classes are boring and they can’t sit through the horror of not having comfort in an hour. Attending classes is key if you need to get a first-class degree. Why? There are certain things that the lecturers explain in class that are very critical during exams. Some of topics being discussed in the class are not in the lecture materials therefore students who don’t attend classes are at a very big loss. These extra explanations that the lecturer gives in class are key for better marks for those who are listening. Also paying rapt attention is key when you want to be a top-grade student. Not everyone who attends class listen to the lecturer as some come for different reasons. However, with the kind of target you have, make sure that you listen to the lecturer carefully so pick out necessary explanations that are relevant to the course.
- READ EVERY DAY: it is very important to read as a student but reading everyday makes you a better student that others. While other students prefer to wait till when exams are close before they start reading their books, you can be way ahead of them by reading your books at the end of the day when you are already relaxing. Reading everyday makes you up to date with the courses and also helps assimilation easier before exams. You don’t expect to know so much if you only read 2 weeks to the exams. So, it’s better you know the courses in and out before exams even come ringing.
- TESTS ARE IMPORTANT: you certainly do not have to joke with this. Although the exams are the main focus but performing well in the tests gives you an elevated platform before the exams. Top grade students perform excellently in their tests before the exams. Reading every day after classes prepare you for tests anytime because lecturers are fond of bringing up tests even without informing the students. Once you have better scores in the tests, You just have to do extra more in the exams to get maximum grade points for the courses.
- YOUR FRIENDS: in the University system where almost, everyone is expected to be matured, it is usually easy to make friends with people. However, the kind of friends you keep will determine how far you can hit your academic targets. Keeping friends who are results conscious like you will help you focus better and they can help you once you have any issues anytime. Wrong associations never give progress in life so you have to be careful of the company you keep. If at all you can find anyone who wants to associate with you maybe you should check yourself or stay alone.
- EXTRA CURRICULAR ACTIVITIES: the university system allows a lot of extracurricular activities so that students can enjoy themselves and be better. However, you need to define the kind of activities you engage in while you aren’t reading or attending classes. They have to be activities that are educative but they don’t take your time in any way. One thing is always certain with activities: they are in control of the time not you and that is a problem. Make sure that you don’t get too involved in them so you can still control yourself.
Having seen these few plans it is necessary to note that you have to follow these plans thoroughly until you get to the end of your study in the University.
Rate this How-to Tutorial